Friday, December 7, 2012

The Silver Lining

While an accident is never a good thing, it can really affect a special needs family.  Yesterday, I was t-boned and my car was totaled.  I am, for the most part, fine -- just really sore.  So often it is hard to see the silver lining for the cloud.  This was a pretty big cloud after all!!

But while talking things over last night with the DH, I really got to thinking about how important each little cog is to the family machine.  While I do not consider myself to be a little cog (I am actually referring to the car) it is just amazing when you consider how every part of your life impacts every other part.  One of DH's co-workers was in a very serious accident less than two weeks ago and has multiple broken vertebrae and other bones as well.  He has feelings in all his extremities and his prognosis is actually relatively decent but he is still in the hospital and might be for months.

DH did say he wasn't sure how he would handle everything without me.  I thought that was pretty sweet as so many times I feel like my part of the household is so much smaller than his.  I know I do a lot, but I also have a lot of free time during the day to do what I like.  I spend a lot of time on the computer, doing my hobbies, reading and having lunch with friends.  But as he pointed out, if I were in the hospital like his coworker, or if I had lost an arm or a leg or something equally extreme, him trying to deal with that as well as the boys on a daily basis and keeping a fairly demanding full time job would become next to impossible.

Many, many people have pointed out to me that cars can be replaced and that the important thing is that I am (mostly) OK.  I need to focus on that and quit being so hard on myself.  The timing might stink, but really, when is a good time to have an accident??  My fabulous husband is the silver lining in this particular cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment